guen_stuff: (FFVIII)
[personal profile] guen_stuff
Small fluffy ficlety gift thing for [livejournal.com profile] scribblemoose. ^_^



Title: Spark
Author: Guenhwyvar
Pairing: Irvine/Squall
Rating: PG. Fluff.
Notes: Gift fic for scribblemoose; for the great time we all had at Ayacon, and for packages of lovely stuff. Enjoy hon.
Distribution: As is scribbles' want. :)


Spark

Squall leaned against the balcony railings and took a deep breath of the blessedly cool night air. The music from the Garden Festival party that was in full swing in Balamb Garden's main ballroom was still audible even through the closed doors behind him, muffled to a deep bass thumping. The moon loomed huge and full overhead, the lights of Balamb Town twinkled in the distance, and below him Garden's reflection glimmered on the rippling waters of the lake that a few months ago had been a huge crater blasted by Galbadian missiles.

Squall stretched a kink out of his neck, and sighed silently to himself.

Just a few short months since the defeat of Ultimecia, and all the strange events that had precluded it - from an innocuous mission to aid Timber in it's struggle for independence, to the strange events of Esthar, Adel, and Time Compression.

It hadn't even ended there. It had seemed like no sooner had they returned to Garden than SeeD was needed for a hundred new missions, from the clean-up of the Lunar Cry and aiding in the rebuilding of the Garden in Trabia, to moderating the seemingly endless arguments between Esthar and Deling about the future of the monstrous Lunatic Pandora...all things Squall had had to take a lead in, since he was still Commander and all. In truth, he didn't mind the job so much now, and he had support - Cid, Matron, his friends, and Rinoa.

Rinoa. He owed her so much. She'd helped him open up again, helped him feel instead of cutting himself off. Because of her he was learning to build friendships and rely on others instead of having the weight of the world on his own shoulders. Because of her he actually wanted to have friends, even though the rest of the gang had cared for him regardless and followed him - literally - to the end of the world, he was starting to show them he cared too.

Some of them had been surprised, and perhaps even a little disappointed, that Rinoa and himself had never made the leap from friendship into romance. Squall had felt a touch guilty about that. He cared for Rinoa a great deal; she was his confidant and his best friend, and yes he loved her - the same way he loved Sis, and Matron. There just hadn't been the spark they had both wanted to take things further. In fact, Squall was slowly coming to the conclusion he didn't have... those kind of feelings for any girl.

As it was, she had now been dating Zell for two months. Poor guy had always been crazy about her but thought he'd never stood a chance against Squall. When he realized Squall wasn't even in the picture, he'd still asked the Commander's permission to date the young Sorceress. Squall had found that both incredibly respectful and more than a little amusing.

His revere was interrupted by a brief surge of noise as the balcony doors opened, the music becoming loud and clear for a moment before the doors swung shut and reduced it to a muffled thumping again.

Footsteps echoed across the flagstones, and a figure leaned itself against the balcony next to him.

"Gil for your thoughts?" asked a familiar voice with a heavy Galbadian accent.

"Nothing much, Irvine." Replied Squall, turning his head slightly to look at the tall cowboy propped up against the railings, amused for a moment that his ever-present hat was missing. Quite possibly Selphie was wearing it again. "Just... things," He added.

"They're missin' you in there, y'know. Ellone says you promised her a dance." Irvine chuckled.

"Yeah, I know... I just wanted some air for a minute." Said Squall. Ellone would get her dance, he could never disappoint Sis, he'd just felt very crowded. Tonight it seemed like everyone and their brother wanted to talk to him or shake his hand or ask him questions. Even months later everyone still wanted to meet the world's saviour.

"You okay?"

"I'm fine, just a bit... peopled out, I guess," Offered Squall, not really knowing how else to describe how he felt. Irvine chuckled again.

"Still not used to bein' a hero, are you?"

Squall gave him a brief glare, then shook his head resignedly and went back to staring at the water. He'd never been comfortable with that label. Irvine pointedly ignored the sharp look and settled next to him, arms folded on the railing. He never seemed to be affected by Squall's shifting moods. Sometimes Squall was grateful for that; there were still times when he wanted to retreat into his shell, just for a little while, but he didn't truly want to be alone either. Irvine's quiet but supportive presence was sometimes all he needed. The cowboy didn't talk his ear off or crowd him or make him try and open up again instantly, he simply stayed close enough that Squall knew he was there if he suddenly decided he wanted to talk, or play cards, or go training at three in the morning because he was restless and couldn't sleep. All of which they had done at some time.

They spent several minutes in silence before Irvine spoke again.

"Squall darlin', why do you find it so hard to believe how amazin' you are?" he asked quietly. Squall looked at him.

"I don't feel like someone amazing. I'm just me." He said quietly.

"You've defeated sorceresses and saved worlds. Not many people can say that." said Irvine with a grin.

"I didn't do it alone."

"Maybe not. But you lead, and we followed you willingly."

"I only did what had to be done, Irvine. I never set out to be a leader. I sure never envisioned being in charge of all this..." he shrugged, gesturing at the imposing walls of Garden around them.

"Doesn't make it any less amazin'. Sometimes simply doin' the right thing is the hardest thing in the world. But you do it, all the time - and without even thinkin', because it's who you are. That makes you truly a hero, darlin'."

Squall dropped his eyes, an unfamiliar blush touching his cheeks.

Irvine caught his jaw and gently tipped his head up, smiling softly at him. Something about that small gesture made Squall's breath catch in his throat. He couldn't help but notice how dark Irvine's eyes looked in the moonlight, deep and smoky and seeming to look right through him, making him feel uncharacteristically weak and strangely wonderful all at once. His hand reflexively curled tight around the balcony railing.

"Let me show you just how amazin' I think you are, darlin'." said the cowboy softly. Squall swallowed hard. Irvine waited.

Squall felt lost. He'd never thought about anything more than friendship with Irvine, even as he'd started to understand himself what his preferences were, and yet...

"I think... I think I'd like that," he whispered at last, offering Irvine a tiny smile.

The cowboy smiled in return, warmth lighting his eyes. Squall let the light touch of his fingers guide him in as Irvine dipped his head, and kissed him.

His mouth felt soft against Squall's, firm but undemanding, and teasing in a way that made his lips tingle.

It felt like a spark.


Feedback and random comments gratefully accepted. ^_^

Date: 2005-09-23 01:48 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] remote45.livejournal.com
Awwwww! This was so sweet and romantic. What a really nice way to start off my day. I liked this. (Would love to see more!)

Date: 2005-09-23 08:11 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] guenhwyvarsmind.livejournal.com
Thankyou. ^_^

Date: 2005-09-23 02:59 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] tameiki.livejournal.com
Hi! Came here from [livejournal.com profile] scribblemoose's to see... O.O

It felt like a spark

It feels like the beginning to something wonderful! This was a great way to start a morning. Sweet and tender without being sappy. More, please. :D

Date: 2005-09-23 08:13 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] guenhwyvarsmind.livejournal.com
Thanks. I wanted that first-kiss feeling. ^_^

Date: 2005-09-23 03:27 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] isabeau-gower.livejournal.com
I love the way you captured the anticipation of the kiss in Squall's mind. That was beautiful.

Date: 2005-09-23 08:13 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] guenhwyvarsmind.livejournal.com
Aw, thankyou. ^_^

Date: 2005-09-23 04:07 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] paxnirvana.livejournal.com
Oooh. Very sweet and tentative. I like coming-out-of-his-shell Squall here. ^^ And Irvine is just *squee*!

Date: 2005-09-23 08:14 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] guenhwyvarsmind.livejournal.com
Thankyou - and Irvine is always *squee*. ^_^

Date: 2005-09-23 04:51 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] moonriddler-mim.livejournal.com
sweeeeet!!!! likelikelike!! ^_^

(came here from scribbles, btw ^_^)

Date: 2005-09-23 08:15 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] guenhwyvarsmind.livejournal.com
Thankyou. ^_^

Date: 2005-09-23 05:29 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] 2metaldog.livejournal.com
Yet another directed here by Scribbles. Very nice. Not to sweet and sappy. I think you hit just the right notes. I'm sure we would all appreciate more along this line if you feel so inclined.

Date: 2005-09-23 08:17 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] guenhwyvarsmind.livejournal.com
Thankyou. I think I'm going to *have* to do a bit more. ^_^

Date: 2005-09-23 08:32 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] 2metaldog.livejournal.com
Don't force a fic! I'm gonna get that inscribed on a stone and hang that around my neck. I forced one of mine and I have to re-write everything. *sigh*. We will wait patiently for when the muses feed you again.

Date: 2005-09-23 08:43 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] guenhwyvarsmind.livejournal.com
That's okay, I couldn't force a fic if I tried. I honestly hadn't thought of this as more than a one-shot, but it's had such a great response it's getting my mind whirring about where they might go from here...

^_~

Date: 2005-09-23 08:51 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] 2metaldog.livejournal.com
Isn't it great when things like that happen? Several of my one-shots became arcs because readers liked them and asked me to continue. Then there are the ones that just ran away with me and demanded to be arcs.

Date: 2005-09-23 06:07 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] elfen.livejournal.com
I'm another that came here at Scribbles recommendation and I'm glad I did. Very sweet and I like how Squall's coming to understand himself. Not just his preferences, but the kind of person he is. It's one of the things I loved best about the game -- how the characters developed. You captured that perfectly.

Date: 2005-09-23 08:20 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] guenhwyvarsmind.livejournal.com
Thankyou. I loved that about the game too (amongst many things). ^_^

Date: 2005-09-23 08:54 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] chalcopyrite.livejournal.com
Awww! This just gave me warm fuzzies, right when I needed 'em!

Date: 2005-09-24 07:07 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] guenhwyvarsmind.livejournal.com
Glad I could help. ^_^

Date: 2005-09-24 12:45 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] janen-san.livejournal.com
*mushy smile on her face*
That was very nice.

Date: 2005-09-24 07:07 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] guenhwyvarsmind.livejournal.com
Thankyou. ^_^

Date: 2005-09-24 11:14 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mistr3ssquickly.livejournal.com
Spark ... *sigh* What a lovely ending. And a lovely story. Just enough introspectiveness mixed with conversation, mixed with description. Nicely balanced and executed. You've got a very nice rhythm and ... flow, perhaps, is the word? for your story. I greatly enjoyed reading it!!

Date: 2005-09-26 11:37 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] guenhwyvarsmind.livejournal.com
Thankyou, I don't plan it, it just works out that way. ^_^

Date: 2005-09-24 11:37 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] trasgapoca.livejournal.com
I have to agree with everyone else - absolutely sweet and wonderful. And I'm ecstatic to find another Squall/Irvine fic to add to my collection. They have somehow worked their way into my affections and become my favorite pairing of any fandom. Unfortunately, they're also the hardest to find. *sigh* So you have double the gratitude and fawnings from me - for both a great piece of work and for feeding my cowboy/gunblader addiction.

Date: 2005-09-26 11:39 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] guenhwyvarsmind.livejournal.com
Thankyou. They're definitely one of my favourites - it's all [livejournal.com profile] scribblemoose's fault. *hehe* ^_^

Date: 2005-09-28 05:48 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] trasgapoca.livejournal.com
Nice to know I'm not the only one she dragged into that pairing *grin* There's just something about that cowboy I adore. Probably shouldn't surprise me since my favorite in Weiss is Yohji and the two do have quite a bit in common. Keep up the writing, this was an excellent piece. And if you want a beta reader, feel free to look me up - I already have a number of people I read for and am always happy to add another talented author.
Page generated Oct. 23rd, 2026 02:09 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios