guen_stuff: (FFVIII)
[personal profile] guen_stuff
What can I say, I had a plotbunny. *g* Happy Christmas everyone!


Author: Guenhwyvar
Paring: Squall/Irvine
Rating: PG, fluff


Irvine strode purposefully through the corridors, determination evident on his face. It should have been comical beneath the large sprig of mistletoe pinned to the brim of his hat, but none of the few people who passed him dared laugh.

Squall had promised him... promised him... that he wouldn't work late tonight, that he'd meet him and the others for dinner. It was Christmas Eve dammit. Squall should have been there an hour ago.

It was late enough for Irvine. Even though he knew his boyfriend still loathed most social events, tending to see them as a hazard of the Commander's job and approaching them with an appropriate battle plan, this one should have been different. This should have been just them and their friends, and Squall had agreed so easily. Maybe Irvine should have been suspicious then, instead of surprised and asking 'Really?' in a wondering voice, which had only made the brunette chuckle and plant a breath-stealingly soft kiss on Irvine's lips, before whispering 'I promise...'

Squall never, ever broke his promises, it just wasn't in him.

So it was a determined, confused, and slightly annoyed cowboy that strode up to Squall's office door and swung it open, striding right in, a whole spiel ready about promises and friends and Christmas Eve.

The words, however, died on his lips, replaced by a slowly growing smile.

Squall was sitting on the floor, jacket tossed carelessly on a nearby chair, surrounded by a tangle of coloured paper and scraps of ribbon. Beside him was a pile of awkwardly wrapped presents. It had, apparently, been a hard-fought battle.

The brunette looked up at Irvine's sudden entrance, his eyes so full of awkward apology that Irvine felt his heart melt.

"I knew there would be a damn good reason why you were so late," said Irvine, the smile broadening into a full-out grin.

Squall sighed. "I've never really had to wrap presents myself before, I either wasn't bothered or asked Quistis or Selphie to do it. Didn't think it'd take so damn long." He gestured at the pile of gifts, frowning at them.

Irvine pulled him to his feet and enveloped him in a hug before he could say anything else. Squall sighed again, sounding defeated, sliding his arms under the cowboy's duster and resting his head on his shoulder. Irvine just held him close for a long moment.

"Sorry I've kept everyone waiting," came a muffled voice from his shoulder. Irvine smiled to himself.

"I don't think they're gonna mind," He said softly, gently kissing the top of Squall's head. Unruly chocolate strands tickled his nose.

"Come on," He said, making a move to unwrap Squall from around him, "I'll help you finish up and.. " he stopped, noticing for the first time the last package laid out at their feet, not yet wrapped. It was a fine, brown leather gun case, bearing a silver plaque with 'Irvine Kinneas' engraved in bold lettering.

Irvine stared at it.

"You got me a new case for Exeter?" He said in delight. Squall rolled his eyes, but his mouth was curved into a small smile.

"Well, you weren't going to get around to it, no matter how much you complained about the old one falling apart, or not having enough room for spare ammo, or whatever."

"I love it."

"It was going to be a surprise. You weren't supposed to see it until tomorrow." Squall paused, one eyebrow quirking slightly in amusement as something caught his eye. "You have mistletoe on your hat."

The cowboy smiled, gazing down into blue grey eyes. He gently tilted Squall's chin up towards him.

"That's so I can kiss you under it wherever we happen to be, of course." he said softly, demonstrating by dipping to press his lips against his boyfriend's, the kiss brief but full of appreciation, and love. It drew a pleased, almost inaudible sigh from the brunette.

"Shouldn't we be going? I've held everyone up long enough." a still-smiling Squall asked in a quiet voice.

Irvine drew him back into his arms, his own smile radiating warmth.

"I reckon they can wait five more minutes," he murmured, and kissed him again.


End

Date: 2006-12-23 06:28 pm (UTC)
scribblemoose: (squirv)
From: [personal profile] scribblemoose
Oh! That's just perfect. Absolutely adorable. *melts*

♥

Date: 2006-12-23 06:43 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] guenhwyvarsmind.livejournal.com
*reconstitutes*

Happy xmas hon. *cuddles*

Date: 2007-07-22 09:40 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dior-anghel.livejournal.com
Gah, so cute! It's not exactly Christmastime, but I love this fic, so it really doesn't matter. ^^ Your Squall is simply adorable.

Date: 2007-07-27 09:33 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] guen-fics.livejournal.com
Aww, thanks! ^_^

(sorry for late reply.. *pokes LJ*)

Profile

guen_stuff: (Default)
Guenhwyvar's stuff.

May 2020

S M T W T F S
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272829 30
31      

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 23rd, 2026 02:09 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios